The Perfect Fried Chicken
We took down the Colonel to claim our spot on the fried chicken throne!
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 Cup kosher salt
- ¼ Cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 Sprigs of rosemary
- 3 Sprigs thyme
- 1 Bunch sage
- ¼ Cup peppercorns
- 8 Cloves of garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- Other ingredients:
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 Quart buttermilk
- 6 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Crove Food Co. Poultry Rub & Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together your brine. Add the salt to the pot of water and place it over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until the salt is dissolved. Once dissolved, add in other brine ingredients. Let it sit until the brine is at room temperature or colder. Add in your chicken, cover, and place in the fridge for 8-12 hours.
- Set chicken out at room temperature before frying. Once ready, prepare your dredging station. Add the flour and poultry rub to one bowl and add your buttermilk to a separate bowl.
- Add the chicken to the flour mixture and coat well. Then submerge the chicken in the buttermilk. From there, go back into the flour mixture and squeeze the flour into the chicken to create ridges. Place on a wire rack and reheat your oil to 325 degrees.
- Once oil is hot, carefully place your chicken in the oil. We will deep fry for 10-12 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through. Use a meat thermometer to guarantee doneness.
- Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes and finish with salt. Enjoy!
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends!