- 4-5 pieces of bacon
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp Crove Beef Rub
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2.5 Cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- Tapatio hot sauce
- 1 cup cheese for garnish
- Add salt to taste
- Chop bacon into small 1-inch pieces. Slowly cook the bacon on low in a large pot to render as much fat as possible. When done remove bacon from the grease and drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Keep the bacon grease in the pot.
- While the bacon is slowly cooking, peel and dice your potatoes. You can put the diced potatoes into a bowl of water to keep them from turning brown.
- Add diced onion to the bacon grease and cook for a few minutes then add the garlic.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup flour over the bacon grease, onion and garlic to create a roux. Then add 2 cups of whole milk and 4 cups chicken stock. Stir continuously over low heat until the clumps have dissolved.
- Add 3 tbsp. Crove Beef Rub and 5 sprigs of thyme to the pot.
- Add about 2.5 cups of potatoes to the pot, a few dashes of Tapatio hot sauce, and let it all simmer for around 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish with bacon and cheese. Additional toppings that would also be delicious- fresh chives and sour cream!
Watch the video here
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends!