We served these appetizers at the Tuscaloosa Tailgate Tour stop. Jalapeno Poppers makes the perfect tailgating appetizer because they are a one-bite treat and full of flavor! The trick for making the best Jalapeno Poppers that have that amazing crispy bacon is using thinly sliced bacon and wrapping them tight. The thinly sliced bacon gets crispy much quicker. It’s not necessary to use toothpicks if they are wrapped tightly.
- Preheat your smoker to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. We used Cowboy Charcoal’s Lump Charcoal.
- Put your gloves on to protect your skin from the heat of the peppers.
- Start by slicing the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the membranes and seeds.
- Place the mild breakfast sausage in a skillet and break it up. Cook on medium heat until browned. Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet and blot with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- In a pan or medium sized bowl, combine the ground sausage, Crove Food Co Fajita Seasoning & Rub, cream cheese, and shredded Colby jack cheese. Using your hands or a large spoon mix it all together. This is the filling for the Jalapeno Poppers.
- Use a spoon to scoop the filling into jalapeno halves. Repeat until all the jalapenos are filled.
- Slice your bacon in half with a knife.
- Roll a half of a piece of bacon tightly around one Jalapeno Popper from top to bottom.
- Place the Jalapeno Poppers on a smoker for about 60 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends!