BBQ Chicken Lollipops
We served these appetizers at the New Orleans Tailgate Tour stop.The first thing we started prepping at this stop were the BBQ Chicken Lollipops. BBQ Chicken Lollipops are a great tailgating food. They are delicious, so juicy, and are easy to hold and eat…BUT they take a lot of time to prep. They get their name because, well they look like a lollipop, with the chicken bone acting as a lollipop stick once it has been trimmed.
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim your chicken drumsticks into lollipops. To trim the chicken drumsticks, you need a very sharp knife. You are going to make a cut completely around the lower end of the chicken leg and pull the skin down away from the meat end, until the bone is exposed. You will also need to use kitchen shears to cut the tendons. Trim until the bone is clean.
- After you have trimmed all the chicken, dust the chicken with Crove Food Co. Poultry Rub & Seasoning.
- Let the chicken sit for 30 minutes with the rub on it while the smoker is heating up.
- Put the chicken on a 275-degree Fahrenheit smoker with the chicken lollipop sitting on the grate while the chicken bone sticks up in the air. You might have to spread the skin and meat out to get it to sit up straight by pushing it down.
- Smoke the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken lollipops one at a time and dip them into a bowl or cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, then place them right back onto the smoker. I used Allegro Original BBQ Sauce.
- Let the chicken lollipops smoke for an additional 10 minutes or until the sauce is set, then remove from the grill.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends!