- 5 onions (red and/or yellow)
- 1 Stick Butter
- 6 Cups Beef Stock
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 5 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp Dry White Wine
- 3 Tbsp Dry Sherry
- 1 Baguette
- 1 Block of Gruyere
- Thinly slice onions with a sharp knife or a mandolin. Add butter and olive oil to a stock pot or Dutch oven and add in the onions over medium heat. Add a heavy pinch of salt, stir, and allow onions to caramelize. This process will take around 45 minutes. Stir every 5-7 minutes.
- Tie the bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme together and add to the pot after 20 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan after 45 minutes with sherry and white wine. Add beef stock, a heavy pinch of salt and pepper, Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Brush Sliced baguette pieces with olive oil or top with butter and bake at 425 degrees until browned, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add shredded gruyere, baguettes, and more gruyere to oven safe bowl. Stick under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
Watch the video here
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends!